Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Building the Camp

When Mom was about 7 years old her family began building "the Camp," their summer home at Card Canyon. As I recall, she said they first just camped there in a tent on a platform. I believe that the little cabin that became "Art's Cabin" was built first, and I don't think the larger cabin was completed the first year. I remember her telling me that they would all take baths outdoors in the same tub of water, since they didn't have indoor plumbing. Katie got first dibs. The boys were last. Hard for us to imagine, but they all survived it. What we knew as the woodshed was originally built as Mom's playhouse. The river was much wider then, and I think safer for wading. It became more narrow and swift when the highway on the other side was later widened.

No comments: