*Hostess apple strudels toasted in the toaster oven.
*Beef and 7 vegetables over rice
*Fluffy pineapple cheesecake served at every cousin bridal shower
(still my favorite dessert ever!)
*Chipped beef over toast
*White fish baked in a milky sauce
*Rice and sausage casserole
*THE best stuffing on Thanksgiving- homemade bread chunks with
sausage, cashews and celery
*Christmas cookies (regular rolled out sugar cookies with orange zest-
Dwan Young's recipe)
*Turkey soup after a holiday - She re-boiled the turkey bones so she
could get every last scrap of meat off the bones and create a little
more turkey broth. I remember picking many turkey frames with her.
Ick! I still don't like that job.She added vegetables and sometimes
noodles. Very tasty soup.
I don't think Mom ever liked cooking all that much. It was a
neccessity rather than an art form for her. I don't think she ever
considered herself a very good cook. But she knew she was creatively
frugal because one of her favorite statements at dinnertime was, "I
don't think there is a single family anywhere eating this same variety
of food for dinner tonight." I'm sure that was true most of the time.
she loved people and they'd come to visit her and hang out. They'd
invariably still be there at meal times. So she'd feed them generously
and with love.
No comments:
Post a Comment